Monday, September 13, 2010

Swum is indeed a word

I'm learning new things about the English language every day. I had a debate with my co-teacher the other day about the usage of that word in front of my class. It might be a word, but when does anybody ever use it?

So I've been here for a month now. Time goes by fast. Classes are getting handed to me pretty fast. I have about 10 now, including one class outside of Gloria. I can't believe how well my students speak English in the outside class. It's like I'm teaching native English speakers. Normally I'm repeating passages and teaching the same Q&A for about 25 minutes. Not there. I spent 2 hours talking about South America. I get to ask them about their weekends, things they learned in school, who their favorite singers are (it's Justin Bieber btw), etc... I just wish lesson plans weren't so hard to come up with. Still though, nothing beats a day with my kindie students. They love the 'bum bum' dance. Basically when a team loses a game, they have to shake their butts to the letters in a word that the other team gives them. Some of the students in the winning team come up to do it also.

Student quote of the week:

This is from one of my roommate's classes when he asked the students to write down a question about the story....

Q: What are Sandy and Sue doing?
A: Sandy and Sue are doing a puppet.

Aside from class I haven't been up to much. I'm starting to realize the direct connection between me owning a scooter to how much fun I get to have in Zhongli. My days are pretty much waking up, eating, and having about an hour before I have to make an hour-hour and a half commute to work. Not to say I haven't had a great time so far. I went to the other night market in town last week and discovered some new desserts and a place to get movies for about 3 USD a piece (buy 4 get 1 free!). I also now know where to get snake soup if I'm feeling that adventurous.

We went to Sun Moon lake yesterday. It was gorgeous! Clear blue skies for the most part. It rained pretty heavily for about 20 minutes. Most of the people in the dorms participated in the mass swim, which consisted of about 27,000 people from all over the world. I came to Taiwan after the registration was over. But that didn't stop me from having a good time. A few of us walked around the lake to find a good spot to swim. The police came pretty quick to kick us out. Apparently you have to be registered for the event to be IN the lake. Too bad. It was hot. So we continued to break the law.

This was my view in the morning


The walk around the lake was not without excitement. I made a new friend along the way.




I've never seen a cooler arachnid in my life. I made him my photo subject for the trip and took about 20 pictures of it every time I passed by. It made the whole trip worth it. 

I'm off to sleep now, but I'll leave you with my favorite Taiwan find of the week......




-迪龍 out

No comments:

Post a Comment